Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Freak show................


So yesterday after my exams, I was on my way to work on the tube when I saw this bald guy that had like a million and one piercings all over his face.

There were so many that all I saw was so so metal everywhere. He also had those black, red and green tattoos on his arms…..it was just a grotesque sight. Unfortunately for me, he caught me staring and snarled at me.

I hate it myself when I see people staring, but I couldn’t help myself. And it got me wondering why he was vexing cos I was staring at him. If you look like that, then I’m going to stare.
I mean, you can’t roll out of your house looking like that and expect everything to be honky dory and not get stares from people. If you decide to look like that, then I’m sorry but you’re looking for trouble.

Well I mean, I guess it’s a matter of free choice, and it’s a free world (so they say) but nevertheless, if you want to look like that, then you have to know that you don’t exist on this planet alone. I mean, these people have families, friends…..and you can’t tell me that their families all feel that it is ok to look like that.

If you are concerned about these people in your lives, then you have to be willing to be concerned about their feelings as well. Imagine in a country like naija, where most parents are very traditional. Imagine your son or daughter rocking up with piercings and tattoos all over their bodies……the first thing they’ll tell you is to stop embarrassing them and embarrassing yourself.

God knows my mother would brush me black and blue, till the devil was beaten out of me.
If you still insist on doing it in front of people you care about, then maybe you don’t really care about them.

So really, all I’m saying is that one should think before they go looking for trouble…….piercing their eyes, ears, noses, lips, eyebrows, cheekbones and shit……..leave it for the carnival or when there’s one of those festivals where you can express yourself.
If you still insist on being different…..then really, don’t vex when I stare at you.



22 comments:

loomnie said...

Cool blog! I agree with you. There are some things that scream 'Look at me!', and I think piercings is one of them.

The Last King Of Scotland said...

i see ur point and when its excessive it does look grotesque, however he belongs to a 'community of practice' or community of interest where its perfectly ok to dress and look like that. all the staring in the world wont change em. me i stare for 2 secs and look away at something else

Cheetarah said...

O jaded!lol! Im sure he belongs to the camden crowd and its totally acceptable for him 2 look that way. I look sometimes when its really really out there like the asian 15 year old punk girl..very wierd but to be honest Im a bit of a closet goth so i dont throw stones,lol!

Ugo Daniels said...

freaky dawg he is...eishhh. I mean havin 1 or 2 piercing at da right places is cool BUT allover ya body, dats fcukin stupi.

I tend to agree wit da last king of scotland, he obviously belong to a 'sect'...lol!

And hey, tnx 4 being a dedicated customer on my blog...lol!

chicala said...

I know jare and when they stare back u'r like duh! is it my bloody fault. If u can go that far u shld be able to handle such attention abi.

And good luck in ur exams too, hope u'r jacking rily hard, lol.

Ejura said...

I think we blogged about the same topic today- Aliens!
Infact i couldn't agree with you more.
Nice blog!

Bitchy said...

The person clearly wanted to be looked at. With piercings, tattoos and shit, I sometimes think its a matter of personal preference. But you're right. After a while, its obvious when they're being done for attention. For instance, I have a tattoo! if you met me, you'd never know ;) Xxx

SET said...

I COSIGN, IF YOU DARE TO BE DIFFERENT YOU DO SO TO GET NOTICED FOR BEING DIFFERENT. THEY ARE SO LIMITED IN TERMS OF WHAT KIND OF JOBS THEY CAN DO LOOKING LIKE THAT TOO.

ExcitedJade said...

one word.... Rubbish.
no mind them jare..

jadedjune said...

@ loomnie.......thank u jere....i think sey na only me dey craze.

@ TLK....like i said....they shud not vex when i stare.

@cheetarah... **exclaims**

@ugo d....ya welcome

@chicala....well im obviously not jacking hard eniff, cos im still blogging innit....me sef....

@ejura ....great minds think alike.
;-)

@ bitchy....see this ghel, u don spoil....oya tell me where it is....i no go tell anybody...

@ set.....thanx for seeing my point...

@ excited Jade....thanx jare,,,,hope ur good?

Naijadude said...

No I disagress, however I look depends solely on my discretion. I dont need no staring at me to accept I am different. Different from what?? Everyone looks weird to another person.
Thats why I wouldnt agree with you staring at him. I do know all those grotesque ppl like that. I do stare at them but for just 2 seconds cos I know they get really defensive!

NKEM said...

Those things are really grose..Me wey de look sef i wonder wetin the man go talk na..i go de laugh join am..
But he probably did that cos u know u always have that disgusted look on ur face wen u stare..even at me so...i cant blame him...
haha..

jadedjune said...

@ nigeriandude....well.....ok.... if u say so.....

@ Nkem.......sharrap.

Pink-satin said...

yup!if u decide to look really diff by piercings or any other way..pls u should be ready to accept the stares....its a free world yes!but pple would stare at you...after all na freedom to use ur eyes sef to stare at what u please..abi now!

diary of a G said...

He was like totally narley dudeee

Naija Vixen said...

LMAO abeg!!! where did you see this guy?Tottenham ct rd or Camden town? ;-) agree with ur last sentence...if you are going to be different,do prepare to be treated different.

jadedjune said...

@ pink satin.......Exactly me dear!

@ diary of a G........huh???

@ naija vixen....it was on the northern line going to bank, so maybe he was coming from Camden ;-)

The Pseudo-Independent said...

Maybe it's bad manners, but that person seems to me to be an attention seeker. People may have different views but I think piercing is an act of lack of confidence. Finally, I hope your exams did go well.

uknaija said...

Yeah, heavy tattoos, I always shudder as much as my liberal non-judgmental self tries not to....

I guess the Naija in me is too strong, but I always wonder what happens when you don't want them any more

The Pseudo-Independent said...

btw: hope to see you around

ExcitedJade said...

aburo mi, update please

jadedjune said...

@ The Pseudo-Independent....I dont know what piercings mean, but I know I don't send them.
Sorry jere, I dey busy....I have exams...I don't finish till next Tuesday, so probably won't update till then.


@ Uk Naija.....I don't even want to know what happens.

@ Excited Jade....I dey come my sister, I get exams....